Lou Reed Recovering After Liver Transplant
The former Velvet Underground frontman underwent the procedure in April.
Lou Reed received a life-saving liver transplant last month, his wife Laurie Anderson said in a recent interview.
"I don't think he'll ever totally recover from this, but he'll certainly be back to doing [things] in a few months,” Anderson told the U.K’s The Times. "He's already working and doing t'ai chi. I'm very happy. It's a new life for him."
He canceled several shows in April -- including two sets at the Coachella Music Festival -- to accommodate the surgery. Anderson said the former Velvet Underground frontman underwent the procedure in Cleveland, rather than in his native New York because of what she described as “dysfunctional” hospitals there.
Anderson, who married Reed in 2008, said she was “awestruck” by the technology and coordination used to save her husband’s life.
"You send out two planes – one for the donor, one for the recipient – at the same time. You bring the donor in live, you take him off life support. It's a technological feat,” she said. "I was completely awestruck. I find certain things about technology truly, deeply inspiring."
In addition to fronting Velvet Underground, Reed, 71, has enjoyed a celebrated solo career. In March he surprised fans in New York when he showed up at an event celebrating his classic 1972 album Transformer.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!