Luke Bryan Apologizes for National Anthem Gaffe (Video)
The country singer made headlines for glancing at lyrics written on his palm during his performance before the MLB All-Star Game.
Country singer Luke Bryan used a little bit of guidance while singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the MLB All-Star game in Kansas City on Tuesday night, glancing down at lyrics written on the palm of his hand during the performance.
The move prompted outrage among some red-blooded Americans, who believed that Bryan should have fully memorized the words.
On Wednesday, Bryan posted a few tweets in reference to the incident, saying: "I had a few keys words written down to insure myself that I wouldn't mess up. I just wanted to do my best. I promise it was from the heart. If I offended anyone with my approach I sincerely apologize. Anytime I sing the anthem it is an honor and my heart beats out of my chest."
While he may have nailed down the words, Bryan isn’t the first to fumble with the national anthem recently. Christina Aguilera memorably flubbed at the 2011 Super Bowl, Steven Tyler was criticized for screaming as he perfromed the song before an NFL playoff game this year, and American Idol winner Scotty McCreery mixed up the lyrics before Game 1 of the 2011 World Series.
Bryan also checked his watch during the performance, which was more noticeably disrespectful to critics than looking down at his palm. In his Twitter apology, Bryan also addressed the quick glance to his wrist. “I did check my watch because I knew stealth bomber would fly over 2 minutes in and I knew I started a little late.”
Despite a few negative comments, fans were mostly supportive of Bryan's gaffe. Many on Twitter wrote comments like, “Better to write them down than butcher the song,” and "I don't even care that Luke Bryan had the words written on his hand. #istilllovehim."
Watch Bryan's performance below.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David