Lupe Fiasco Sings Anti-Obama Song, Rushed Off Stage at Inaugural Event (Video)
The Chicago-based rapper criticized the president for foreign policy decisions, which visibly displeased the crowd at the partisan event.
A weekend geared toward celebrating President Barack Obama hit a sour note on Sunday night, as rapper Lupe Fiasco performed a long song that criticized the president at an unofficial inaugural ball.
The Grammy-nominated rapper from Obama's home city of Chicago, who was the main act at the StartUp RockOn concert-party, used the stage to complain about the administration's drone warfare program, and to state that he did not vote for Obama. Performed as one long song, it was greeted harshly by the partisan crowd, and led to organizers ushering the show on to the next performer.
“[Rush] Limbaugh is a racist, Glenn Beck is a racist,” he rapped. "Gaza Strip was getting bombed, Obama didn't say shit. That’s why I ain't vote for him, next one either."
"Lupe Fiasco performed at this private event, and as you may have read, he left the stage earlier than we had planned," the event's organizers said in a statement. "But Lupe Fiasco was not 'kicked off stage' for an 'anti-Obama rant.' We are staunch supporters of free speech, and free political speech. This was not about his opinions. Instead, after a bizarrely repetitive, jarring performance that left the crowd vocally dissatisfied, organizers decided to move on to the next act."
The event, which was held at The Hamilton in Washington, D.C., was thrown by StartUp RockOn, which supports entrepreneurs and tech startups.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack