Macaulay Culkin Forms Pizza-Themed Velvet Underground Tribute Band
The actor's new band is called The Pizza Underground, whose songs ooze with cheesy puns.
Because, why not? Macaulay Culkin has formed a pizza-themed Velvet Underground tribute band called The Pizza Underground.
As the The Guardian reports, the Home Alone star's band includes four musicians from New York's anti-folk scene: Matt Colbourn, Phoebe Kreutz, Deenah Vollmer and Austin Kilham. Culkin is credited with "percussion/kazoo/vocals." The group formed in 2012 and recently performed at Comic Arts Brooklyn, as well as a Lou Reed tribute show at the anti-folk landmark the Sidewalk Cafe in early November.
Last week the group released a demo tape from a live recording session taped at Culkin's house in November. The recording includes a medley of tracks such as "Papa John Says," "I'm Waiting for Delivery Man" and "Take a Bite of the Wild Slice."
Each song is oozing with cheesy puns, such as "Cheese Days" to the "These Days" tune: "I've been out walking / I don't do too much toppings these days / Cheese days / Cheese days I seem to order cheese and don't say please and then I walk away / Don't ask for pepperoni, not today," as well as the track, "I'm Beginning to Eat the Slice" set to the melody of "I'm Beginning to See the Light." "Here we go again, eating 'za again / There we go again / Hand me a napkin / Alright!"
Since the news broke, the band's Facebook and Twitter accounts have steadily been growing a following. According to their account's recent Twitter posts, the group has sold out of T-shirts, received shoutouts from punk legend Legs McNeil and received interest from a Good Morning America producer.
@Legs__McNeil thanks for the shout out! we're huge fans of yours!
— pizza underground (@cheesedayz) December 8, 2013
@cheesedayz Hi- I'm a producer with Good Morning America- could you follow me so I can send you a direct message? thanks!
— Brandon Bodow (@BrandonBodow) December 8, 2013
Recently, The Hollywood Reporter noted that Culkin appeared at New York Comic Con, looking happy and well-nourished after tabloids claimed he had been nursing a deadly drug addiction in the summer of 2012.
Listen to the Pizza Underground demo upload below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game