Macy's, Diddy Hawk $223 Digital Sweater
Retailer calls wearable electronics "next big thing."
Macy's and hip-hop/fashion mogul Sean John Combs -- aka Puff Daddy, P. Diddy, Diddy, and so on -- last week introduced a sweater with an unusual feature: video. The sweater alone goes for $98 but with the digital add-on runs $223.
The garment was designed to sport a 2.8-inch, high-def screen with a 10-hour battery life and 2GB of onboard memory. Which video content is uploaded is up to the consumer.
Macy's blogged about the sweater around Thanksgiving, but today the retailer's marketing team shared its price and availability exclusively with Adweek. The department store and Diddy became fashion partners seven months ago.
“Wearable electronics is the next big thing,” declares the Macy's blog. “It’s a game-changer.”
Brenda Fiala, svp of strategy at marketing firm Blast Radius, suggests that the sweater may be beyond the pale—adding that's exactly what some consumers embrace.
“My gimmick radar is at 11," she said. "The video screen in the sweater is great for showy social butterflies for whom their smartphone is not enough to demonstrate their social status."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR