Madonna-Directed 'W.E.' Sets December Release Date
The Weinstein Co. film will open Dec. 9 in New York and Los Angeles before expanding to wide release in January.
The Weinstein Co. will release Madonna’s W.E. — tracing the fabled romance between Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII — on Dec. 9 in New York and Los Angeles.
The film will expand to additional markets in December, with a wide release planned for mid-January.
Marking Madonna’s narrative feature debut (though she wrote and directed 2008's black comedy Filth and Wisdom), the movie hits theaters during the heart of awards season.
Starring Abbie Cornish, Andrea Riseborough, James D’Arcy and Oscar Isaac, the film tells the story of a young woman who becomes enthralled with the love affair between Wallis Simpson and the British monarch, who famously abdicated the throne for the woman he loved.
Their romance is in stark contrast to the woman’s own unhappy marriage — and an example to follow.
“Madonna beautifully interweaves past and present in W.E. It’s a very smart film, and a stunning feature directorial debut,” TWC co-chair Harvey Weinstein said. “I’m incredibly excited about this movie and I wanted to give it a prominent release date.”
Madonna is represented by CAA and managed by Untitled Entertainment.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting