Elton John's Husband: Madonna Slam Was 'Blown Way Out of Proportion'
David Furnish had vented his anger on Facebook after John lost the best original song award to the "W.E." director at the Golden Globes.
Elton John’s husband, David Furnish, is trying to quell the storm sparked by his scathing comments towards Madonna after the singer beat out his husband for the best original song win at the Golden Globes.
“Wow! What a tempest in a teapot. My comments regarding The Golden Globes have been blown way out of proportion,” wrote Furnish in a statement on his Facebook.
“My passion for our film Gnomeo & Juliet and belief in Elton's song really got my emotional juices going,” he added. “But I must say for the record that I do believe Madonna is a great artist, and that Elton and I wish her all the best for next week's premiere of the film W.E.”
Madonna, who co-wrote and sung the tune for her movie W.E., won "Best Original Song" over competitors including John ("Hello Hello," from Gnomeo & Juliet) and Mary J. Blige ("Living Proof," from The Help).
Furnish -- who married John in 2005 after 12 years together -- had posted a strong reaction to Madonna’s victory on his Facebook. While he later took down the comments, the media took hold of the story and ran with it.
"Madonna. Best song???? F--k off!!!" he wrote. "Thank you for all your comments and support. Madonna winning Best Original Song truly shows how these awards have nothing to do with merit. Her acceptance speech was embarrassing in its narcissism. And her criticism of Gaga shows how desperate she really is."
The feud between Madonna and John has existed for ages, but many have felt that it was more in jest than in as serious as Furnish’s comments implied.
On the carpet before the Globes, Carson Daly had interviewed John, who told him that he felt Madonna "hasn't got a f---ing chance."
When Daly later informed Madonna of John's slight, she responded: "Oh damn him. Those are fighting words. ... May the best man win."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David