Madonna's Grandmother Dies at 99
2:14 PM PST 3/10/2011 by Mark Cina
Three months away from her 100th birthday, Elsie Mae Fortin passes away in Bay City, Mich.
Madonna is mourning the death of her grandmother, Elsie Mae Fortin, who passed away Wednesday at age 99 in Bay City, Mich.She was to turn 100 in three months, according to reports. She is survived by four children, 36-grandchildren, 47-great grandchildren and six great, great grandchildren. Fortin helped raise Madonna after the singer's mother died of breast cancer in 1963 (Madonna was 5 at the time). Fortin lived alone, but remained close to Madonna, who often visited for several weeks during the summers. In an emailed statement, Madonna's longtime publicist Liz Rosenberg said: "I'm sorry, but Madonna will not be issuing any statements or conversing with the media regarding her grandmother. It is a totally personal matter to her." A funeral mass will be held Saturday.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR