Joe Manganiello on 'Magic Mike' Sequel: 'We're Gonna Do It' (Video)
"We all said if this thing makes money, we're doing another one," the "True Blood" actor told THR about plans to bring back the hit male stripper project.
Magic Mike, the male stripper movie loosely based on Channing Tatum’s life, just hit theaters in June, but word of sequel has already been floating around since Tatum mentioned that he would be interested in doing one.
Joe Manganiello, who plays stripper Big Dick Richie in the film, spoke to The Hollywood Reporter at Comic-Con and confirmed his plans to be part of a sequel.
“We’re gonna do it,” he said. “We were talking about it while we were shooting.”
Manganiello was joined by his True Blood co-star Kristin Bauer van Straten in THR’s exclusive Comic-Con video lounge. While there was plenty of talk about season 5 of True Blood, which is currently on the air, THR couldn’t help but chat for a bit about the potential sequel to the hit male stripper film.
“We all said if this thing makes money, we’re doing another one,” he told THR.
The film, which has been a box office success by overperforming in a big way opening weekend with $39.2 million, follows an established stripper in Miami (Tatum) who takes a young novice (Alex Pettyfer) under his wing and welcomes him into the stripper fold.
“Nobody expected the guys to have the chemistry that we had,” Manganiello said.
“The sentiment on set for a lot of people was if we had to do it again we would have made it an ensemble about the guys, just this Animal House about these crazy guys,” he added.
The film was directed by Stephen Soderbergh, and Manganiello said he would want the director to return for the sequel.
“You don’t do a male stripper movie unless you get to do it with the people I got to do it with,” he told THR. “I think keeping that core unit together, that’s where the magic came from.”
Watch THR’s interview with Manganiello above. Find all of THR’s Comic-Con interviews here.
Email: Rebecca.Ford@thr.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)