Magician Penn Jillette Launches Crowdfunding Campaign for Horror Pic
The performer hopes to raise nearly $1 million for his dark thriller-comedy.
Penn Jillette, one half of the comedic magic duo Penn & Teller, launched a campaign Thursday on the crowdfunding website FundAnything in the hopes of raising nearly $1 million for his horror film.
Jillette, last year's runner-up on NBC's The Celebrity Apprentice, took to co-founder Donald Trump's site to raise his goal of $999,972 for "Director's Cut," a comedic thriller told with director's commentary, written by Jillette and to be directed by Adam Rifkin.
With 41 days to go, the project has already raised $295,809 from 1,229 contributions.
"I don't need a lot of money by movie-making standards," Jillette says in his campaign video. "But I need more than I have myself."
The six top donors who chip in $11,000 can earn an executive producer title for the film. For donors who contribute $4,100, Jillette will officiate wedding and renewal vows, and for $5,100, donors can land a role.
The campaign bears the tagline "Help Make Penn a Bad Guy" and if successful would enable Jillette to star as a psychotic, obsessed fan that becomes fixated on a young starlet. The film's leading actress has yet to be cast.
In a campaign video posted on the film's FundAnything site, Jillette transitions into his character, dropping expletives and letting down his long hair, usually pulled back in a low ponytail.
View the video below or head to the film's website for more.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10