Magnolia Picks Up Danish Feature 'A Hijacking' for North America
Tobias Lindholm's drama about Somali pirates premiered at the Venice Film Festival.
COLOGNE, Germany - Magnolia has boarded Tobias Lindholm's Somali pirate drama A Hijacking, taking North American rights to the film from world sales group TrustNordisk.
Magnolia plans a theatrical release of A Hijacking in the second quarter of 2013.
The drama stars Pilou Asbaek (R), Soren Malling (The Killing) and Game of Thrones' actor Dar Salim as passengers on a Danish cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates who are forced to enter into a cynical game of life and death.
Lindholm's second feature after his debut, the acclaimed prison drama R (2010), A Hijacking premiered in competition at the Venice Film Festival before heading to festival stops in Toronto, London, Toyko and, most recently, Thessaloniki, where it won the Golden Alexander - Theo Angelopoulos award for best feature as well as the FIPRESCI international critics prize.
The deal, negotiated between Magnolia's SVP of Acquisitions, Dori Begley and TrustNordisk Head of Sales Susan Wendt, follows sales of A Hijacking to the U.K. (Arrow Films), France (Ad Vitam), Benelux (A-Film), Turkey/Cyprus (Calinos Entertainment) and Korea (Atnine Films).
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'