Toronto 2012: Magnolia Pictures Acquires North American Rights to 'The Brass Teapot'
The fantasy comedy stars Juno Temple and Michael Angarano.
TORONTO — Dealmaking continued at a steady pace on Friday as Magnolia Pictures acquired North American distribution rights to The Brass Teapot, which marks the feature directorial debut of commercial and music video director Ramaa Mosley.
The fantasy-comedy, making its premiere earlier this week at the Toronto International Film Festival, headlines Juno Temple and Michael Angarano. The duo play broke newlyweds who stumbled upon a magical teapot that rewards physical pain with wads of cash. However, they soon learn to be careful for what they wish for.
Mosely developed the story, with Tim Macy developing the script. Brass Teapot was produced by Darren Goldberg of Atlantic Pictures, Kirk Roos of Northern Lights and James Graves.
“I am looking forward to working with the team at Magnolia Pictures," said Mosley. "For my first feature film, it is incredibly exciting to partner with such a great company who is so passionate for indie film and shares my love for the project."
Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles added: "The Brass Teapot is a remarkably funny and assured debut from the very talented Ramaa Mosley. Michael Angarano and Juno Temple have terrific chemistry in this dark comedy that manages to be sincerely sweet and romantic without ever losing its bite."
Magnolia Pictures’ director of acquisitions Peter Van Steemburg negotiated the deal; The Gersh Agency represented the filmmakers.
Brass Teapot marks the second Toronto deal so far for Magnolia after documentary No Place On Earth.
Magnolia Pictures is the theatrical and home entertainment distribution arm of the Wagner/Cuban Companies.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress