Magnolia Takes North American Rights to 'Blackthorn'
Western stars Sam Shepard as Butch Cassidy, and will be released later this year.
Magnolia Pictures has acquired North American rights to Blackthorn, director Mateo Gil's study of the last days of legendary outlaw Butch Cassidy, and will release the film theatrically later this year.
Playwright and actor Sam Shepard plays Cassidy and heads a cast that also includes Stephen Rea, Eduardo Noriega and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau.
The film, which had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival and will also be offered at next month's Cannes market, was written by Miguel Barros and produced by Ibon Cormenzana and Andres Santana.
The Spanish-born Gil has written such films as Open Your Eyes, The Sea Inside and Agora. Blackthorn is the first film he's directed in English.
"With an amazing cast and incredible locations, Mateo Gil has created a western for the ages," Magnolia svp Tom Quinn said. "Sam Shepard is unforgettable as Butch Cassidy, with a command performance that is a high point in an amazing career."
The deal was negotiated by Quinn with Marina Fuentes of 6 Sales.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR