Major Garrett leaving Fox News
Was chief White House correspondent; joins National Journal
Major Garrett will quit Fox News and likely give up his newly acquired front-row seat to White House news briefings in order to join National Journal, the newscaster said Wednesday.
Garrett, whose last day as chief White House correspondent for Fox News is Sept. 3, will become a congressional correspondent and will provide reportage and analysis accross several National Journal properties, including CongressDaily, The Hotline, NationalJournal.com and the PBS show "Washington Week with Gwen Ifill and National Journal."
Fox News said that Wendell Goler and Mike Emanuel will assume joint coverage of Garrett's beat.
The Obama administration has had a famously stormy relationship with Fox News but the White House has steered clear of accusing Garrett of anti-Obama bias.
Nevertheless, some media outlets -- like the New York Times, for example -- have been insinuating that Garrett's departure has something to do with the animosity between Fox News and the White House.
In ditching Fox News, Garrett will trade in much of the celebrity that comes with television for a more low-key career largely in print media, but it's not something that bothers him, apparently.
"Throughout my television career," said Garrett, "I've known with certainty I would someday return to my roots in print journalism. That day has come."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Let's Help Rush Limbaugh With This Whole Movies With The Word 'Slave' In The Title Thing