'Mamma Mia!' breaks U.K. DVD record
More than 5 mil discs sold, fueled by Christmas period
LONDON -- Universal's "Mamma Mia!" has become the biggest-selling DVD of all time in the U.K., after huge sales over the Christmas period.
The DVD was already the fastest-selling U.K. DVD of all time, shifting 3.1 million units in its first week on sale, according to the Official Charts Co.
It tops the year-end sales chart with total sales of 5.005 million, according to the OCC, which means it has also overtaken Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" at the top of the all-time sales list. "The Curse of the Black Pearl" has sold 4.7 million units to date.
The OCC estimates that one in four British households now owns a "Mamma Mia!" DVD.
The movie soundtrack, released in the U.K. by Polydor, was the biggest selling U.K. compilation of 2008, selling more than 1 million copies. The success also saw three other ABBA-linked albums sell more than 100,000 copies in 2008: ABBA's "Gold -- Greatest Hits" (Polydor) and "18 Hits" (Polar) compilations and the London stage recording of the "Mamma Mia!" musical, also on Polydor.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws