Management reshuffle at Sony Computer Entertainment Inc makes Kaz Hirai's position as heir apparent look even stronger
Andy House, current head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe will take over Hirai's current roles as president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc
TOKYO – A management shuffle at Sony Computer Entertainment Inc (SCEI) will see Kazuo Hirai – tipped as a successor to Howard Stringer – take over as chairman of the division, as Andy House, current head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, takes his former roles as president and group CEO of SCEI from September 1.
The appointment of House to the day-to-day running of SCEI will do nothing to dispel the notion that Hirai is being lined-up to replace Stringer as Sony’s next boss.
House, a Brit who originally joined Sony’s corporate communications division in Japan, has also worked in America, and was responsible for the ‘make.believe’ campaign – the first attempt at a unifying global slogan for the conglomerate’s diverse businesses.
“We are facing new challenges this year, such as the successful launch of PlayStation Vita [Sony’s new portable console] and further growth of the PS3 platform as well as expansion of nongaming business,” said Hirai in a statement. “I’m confident that the skills and expertise Andy has gained over two decades working for Sony and SCE Group will contribute enormously in leading the PlayStation business and to bring new initiatives in managing the business in the networked era.”
Sony also announced that Ken Kutaragi – known as the Father of the PlayStation and once tipped as a future CEO – would step down from his role as honorary chairman of SCEI, effective immediately.
Current SCEI chairman, Akira Sato, will retire at the end of August to make way for Hirai.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'