Mandy Patinkin Cast in Zach Braff's 'Wish I Was Here'
The “Homeland” actor will play Braff’s father in the Kickstarter-funded film.
Homeland’s Mandy Patinkin has joined Zach Braff’s Kickstarter-funded project, Wish I Was Here.
The announcement was made Tuesday on the film’s crowd-sourcing page, where donors have already pledged more than $2.6 million.
The film, based on an original screenplay from Braff and his brother Adam Braff, centers on Aidan Bloom (Zach Braff), a struggling actor, father and husband who is struggling to find his identity and purpose at 35 years old. Patinkin will play Braff’s father.
The Tony- and Emmy Award-winner currently stars in Showtime’s Homeland. His film credits include Yentl, The Princess Bride, Ragtime and Dick Tracy.
On the heels of Veronica Mars’ Kickstarter success, Braff launched his own campaign April 24 with the goal of raising $2 million in 30 days. With donor incentives including personal copies of the script, access to weekly behind-the-scenes videos, invitations to the premiere and even a speaking role in the film, Wish I Was Here surpassed its fundraising goal in just four days.
"I never talked to studios. I didn't want to make it with studios," Braff told The Hollywood Reporter’s Kim Masters about laying the groundwork for the project. "Since Garden State, I've had so much experience of that being a nightmare." The filmmaker explained that he spoke previously with financiers who wanted Wish I Was Here to film in Vancouver with an estimated budget of $4 million, but he ended up not going in that direction.
"I just thought I had nothing to lose," he said. "I thought, 'I know I have this loyal fan base. I know they want me to make another movie. I know they want me to be totally in charge of it. I know that it will take some explaining because there are people who don't understand how the business works and will be confused.' "
Braff previously disclosed that The Big Bang Theory’s Jim Parsons will also appear in the movie.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack