Mar del Plata Film Fest Unveils Full Lineup
The Latin American festival will screen 415 features, with a guest list that includes Bong Joon-Ho, John Landis and Pierre Etaix.
BUENOS AIRES – The Mar del Plata International Film Festival announced its full lineup on Thursday at a press conference in Buenos Aires' Cine Gaumont. It was led by fest president Jose Martinez Suarez, general producer Fernando Spiner and the head of the Argentine Film Institute (INCAA), Liliana Mazure.
Moises Sepulveda’s Illiterate, starring Paulina Garcia and Valentina Muhr, will be the fest’s opening film and part of the International competition, together with six other Latin American films within the total of 14.
According to Martinez Suarez, the festival will screen 425 features (247 films and 168 short films), with three main competitions (International, Latin American and Argentine feature-length films) as well as genre-driven programs, retrospectives (Juan Antonio Bardem, Miklos Jancso, among others) and focuses that include Portuguese avant-garde cinema, works by Spanish video-artist Maria Cañas and a selection of films by festival guests John Landis and Pierre Etaix.
The announcement included the full lineup, as well as the guest and jury list. The international competition jury will be composed of Mexican Cineteca head Paula Astorga Riestra, writer Guillermo Martinez, Italian producer and former Cinecitta official Luciano Sovena, Spanish filmmaker and critic Javier Angulo and renowned South Korean helmer Bong Joon-ho.
Bong Joon-ho's attendance to the festival was confirmed yesterday, together with a retrospective program consisting in Barking Dogs Never Bite, The Host, Memories of Murder and Mother.
The Latin American competition jury will be formed by filmmakers Lucia Murat, Juan Bautista Stagnaro, and Portuguese helmer Joao Canijo, while the Argentine jury will include Valdivia fest programmer Isabel Orellana Guarello, Uruguayan writer and critic Carlos María Domínguez and Kino Latino fest programmer Sven Potting. Producer Vanessa Ragone (The Secret in Their Eyes), will join sound designer Julio Artucio and Fantaspoa fest creator Joao Fleck at the Work in Progress jury.
The Mar del Plata International Film Festival runs from Nov. 16-24.
Full International Competition:
- Illiterate (Chile), by Moises Sepulveda (Opening Film)
- The Gold Cage (Mexico), by Diego Quemada-Diez
- Bad Hair (Venezuela), by Mariana Rondon
- The Strange Little Cat (Alemania), by Ramon Zürcher
- The Bright Day (India), by Mohit Takalkar
- Wounded (Spain), by Fernando Franco
- Age of Panic (France), by Justine Triet
- The Eternal Return of Antonis Paraskevas (Greece), by Elina Psikou
- Yvy maraey – Land Without Evil (Bolivia), by Juan Carlos Valdivia
- Little Feet (USA), by Alexandre Rockwell
- Drinking Buddies (USA), by Joe Swanberg
- The Lagoon (Argentina), by Gaston Bottaro y Luciano Juncos
- Ghosts of the Road (Argentina), by Jose Celestino Campusano.
- Club Sandwich (Mexico), by Fernando Eimbcke