Marco Mueller to Address India's Cinefan Festival
The Rome Film festival director will deliver the inaugural Mani Kaul Memorial Lecture at the 12th annual fest in July and also serve as a jury member.
NEW DELHI – The 12th Osian's Cinefan festival of Asian and Arab cinema – to be held in New Delhi from 27 July – 5 August - will see Rome Film Festival director Marco Mueller delivering the inaugural Mani Kaul Memorial Lecture. Mueller will also be part of Cinefan's competition jury.
Organized by arts foundation Osian's, Cinefan will be held after a two-year gap and will showcase more than 200 films representing the best of Asian, Arab and Indian Cinema.
This year, the Mani Kaul Memorial Lecture has been launched to honor the acclaimed Indian filmmaker, former creative director at Osian's since 2006 and director general of the 11th Osian's Cinefan festival who died last year. The festival will also include a retrospective of Kaul's films.
PHOTOS: Cannes Awards 2012
"There could be no better choice than inviting Marco Mueller to inaugurate the lecture which will be an annual event. Marco Mueller always affectionately addressed Mani as ‘Guruji’ (Teacher) to show his admiration for him and his genius and in turn Marco enjoyed Mani’s immense respect and regard," said an Osian's spokesperson in a statement.
Mueller will also participate in the festival's three-day summit titled "Delhi: India's Next Cinema City" in which he will share his experiences with developing film production in Italy and in other parts of the world as a comparative case study.
Cinefan will also showcase incarcerated Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi's documentary This Is Not A Film – which depicts a day in his life under house arrest - as part of the festival's Freedom of Expression theme. Panahi's son Panah will attend Cinefan as a jury member for the festival's short films competition.
Another festival theme is titled “Sex & Religion in India: Silk Smitha, Sex Gurus and Indian Cinema," which will screen films dealing with India’s version of the sexual revolution through the decades.
As in years past, the festival will include an exhibition from the Osian’s art archives. "The Divas of Indian Cinema – 100 Years of Beauty and Grace" will pay homage to iconic actresses to mark the 100th anniversary of Indian cinema (the first Indian film, Raja Harischandra, was released in 1913).
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues
- James Franco Calls Times Theater Critic a ‘Little Bitch’ and Suggests He Work for Gawker
- See New Photos of Hannah and Adam Together on the Next Season of Girls
- Under the Skin, Only Lovers Left Alive, and a Brief History of the Art-Horror Film