Mariah Carey Opens Up About Her Difficult Pregnancy, Getting Married Again on '20/20'
The Grammy-winning singer and husband Nick Cannon also showed their six-month-old twins Monroe and Moroccan for the first time.
Mariah Carey and husband Nick Cannon made an appearance on Friday's installment of ABC's 20/20, during which they debuted their six-month old twins, Monroe and Moroccan.
The Grammy-winning singer and America's Got Talent host also discussed parenthood with Barbara Walters. Being a first-time mom, Carey confessed that she didn't fully understand what a pregnancy could do to her body.
"I don't think I understood the enormity or the magnitude of what it really does to your body. Its not just, 'Oh, you don't look pretty and you have a bump,' " she admitted.
"I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to walk properly again," Carey said of her difficult pregnancy, especially when she was approaching the 30-week mark. She was suffering from high blood pressure, among other things.
"It was a huge strain. I would sit adn then someone would have to help me up. I couldn't even go to the [bathroom] by myself. It was just like, 'What are we doing? Are we going to the hospital? No, I'm gonna stick it out, I'm gonna keep taking this medicine to keep these babies in," she recalled. "I made it to 35 weeks and then the doctor said it wasn't safe anymore."
Her babies were born through a Cesarean section in April.
“I want to make sure we get education first,” Cannon said of his desires for his children. "Society puts too much on entertainment and entertainers. They praise them like they’re royalty, especially in America, where it should really be about the teachers or, you know, the doctors. I want them to be able to sing as beautifully as their mother. I want them to be able to play instruments and everything. But I want them like, ‘Go get a Ph.D.’ ”
Carey also confessed during the interview her reservations of tying the knot again, after a tumultous relationship with record executive Tommy Mottola in the late 1990s.
"I never believe that anybody really likes me," Carey said. "I always think it's some kind of joke or something." Cannon has a large "Mariah" tattoo on his back and the former MTV host admitted that Carey was his No. 1 crush.
"Initially I was afraid of the concept of marriage, but this is a different situation and a different time in my life," she explained. Carey and Mottola were married in 1993 when she was in her early twenties.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills