Yahoo's New CEO Marissa Mayer Is Pregnant
The former Google executive reveals that she is expecting her first child in October: "My maternity leave will be a few weeks long, and I'll work throughout it."
On the same day that Marissa Mayer was named the new CEO of Yahoo, the former Google executive made a second big announcement: She's pregnant.
Mayer, 37, said she doesn't expect the birth of her first child to impact her job, which she begins Tuesday.
"I like to stay in the rhythm of things," she said. "My maternity leave will be a few weeks long, and I'll work throughout it."
According to Fortune, the Yahoo board has agreed to relocate its September meeting from New York to the company's hometown of Sunnyvale, Calif., to accommodate the expecting executive.
She said she told the board she was pregnant in late June, but none of the company's directors was worried.
"They showed their evolved thinking," Mayer said.
Mayer's husband, Zachary Brogue, is an attorney who recently made a career shift into investing in "big-data startups," having launched an investment fund call Data Collective.
Mayer received the call that she had the position Thursday. Her hiring took by surprise the many Wall Street analysts who had assumed Yahoo's board would stick with interim CEO Ross Levinsohn, a longtime Internet-advertising-media executive with stints at News Corp. and other entertainment companies.
She was most recently vp local, maps and location services at Google, where she had been overseeing more than 1,000 product managers. At Yahoo, she is tasked with leading the company back to some semblance of the glory it has lost with the ascension of Google.
Her move from Yahoo to Google prompted some quips on Twitter, including one from Andy Borowitz, who runs satircal site the Borowitz Report: "I had never heard of Yahoo's new CEO, so I Googled her."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!