Mark Madoff, Son of Bernie Madoff, Commits Suicide
The oldest son of Bernie Madoff, the Wall Street broker who defrauded millions from investors like Steven Spielberg, John Malkovich, Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon, took his own life Saturday in New York City. Mark Madoff, 46, was found hanging in his Soho home by his father-in-law on what was the second anniversary of Bernie Madoff's arrest for running a decades-long Ponzi scheme, reports The New York Times.
Attorney Martin Flumenbaum said in a statement, "This is a terrible and unnecessary tragedy. Mark was an innocent victim of his father's monstrous crime who succumbed to two years of unrelenting pressure from false accusations and innuendo. We are all deeply saddened by this shocking turn of events."
Mark Madoff was the head trader at his father's firm and along with his brother Andrew, turned his father in to authorities after he confessed to his crimes. The brothers maintained that they had no knowledge of the elder Madoff's illegal activities.
The brothers, a cousin and an uncle, were sued for $200 million last fall by the trustee collecting money for Bernie Madoff's victims, notes the Los Angeles Times.Bernie Madoff is serving a 150-year sentence in Federal prison.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR