Mark McGrath Cancels Nostalgia Tour: 'That Poop Cruise Did Us No Favors'
The Sugar Ray singer was set to join Smash Mouth, Spin Doctors and the Gin Blossoms on a nautical adventure this fall.
Mark McGrath’s nostalgia cruise has been sunk.
The Sugar Ray singer announced on Thursday that his Mark McGrath & Friends Cruise had been canceled, offering no formal explanation on the event’s official website. The cruise was to run from Miami, Fla., to Nassau, Bahamas, with Smash Mouth, Spin Doctors and the Gin Blossoms joining Sugar Ray in performing, from Oct. 18-21, 2013.
On Twitter, McGrath told fans that Carnival’s recent “poop cruise” was to blame.
“The recent fiasco sunk us, no pun intended!” McGrath wrote to one fan. To another, he apologized for the cancelation. “I’m really bummed as well ... that poop cruise did us no favors.”
Earlier this month, an engine fire left one Carnival cruise ship without power and filled with human waste for nearly a week. The event made headline across the globe, prompting significant national news coverage and even inspiring a Saturday Night Live skit.
As The Los Angeles Times notes, however, some have speculated that the $649 cruise -- featuring bands that are many years past their radio relevancy -- may not have been a commercially viable endeavor.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR