Europe's Top Show Switches Hosts
Markus Lanz will replace Thomas Gottschalk as star of "Wanna Bet?" in an effort to return the series to its former glory.
The most-watched program in Europe has ended a months-long search for a new figurehead.
German talk show host Markus Lanz will replace Thomas Gottschalk as star of Wanna Bet?, a decades-old variety show that regularly draws 10 million to 15 million viewers on German TV and is a valuable platform for A-listers including Tom Cruise and Denzel Washington when they have a movie to promote.
Despite its popularity (the next-most-watched show, Germany's version of American Idol, draws just 5 million to 6 million viewers), a who's who of German celebrities said no to the hosting job, fearing Wanna Bet? could be a poisoned chalice because viewership has slipped from more than 13 million in 2005 to about 10 million in 2010.
Lanz, who begins his new gig in October, is well-known in Germany, but insiders are questioning whether he can restore Wanna Bet? to its former glory.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche