Marlon Wayans Defends Tracy Morgan After Anti-Gay Tirade
"He has the right to say what he says" but should be "a little more responsible," says Wayans of his "Little Man" co-star.
Marlon Wayans is the latest celebrity to weigh in on Tracy Morgan's recent anti-gay tirade in Nashville.
At Monday night's Webby Awards, the actor stuck up for Morgan, his co-star in the 2006 comedy Little Man, but said he needs to think more about what he's saying.
He has the right to say what he says," Wayans told reporters, according to Entertainment Weekly. "But he has to be a little more responsible and write a little bit and think a little more before he does it next time."
Morgan has since apologized for his remarks at the June 3 show, during which he said he would "pull out a knife and stab" his son if he were gay, among other comments.
Wayans said the nature of doing stand-up sometimes lends itself to offending those in the audience.
"That's why I don't like people having cameras in the comedy clubs," Wayans said. "Because you're just throwing thoughts out there, and that's the creative process. You're going to offend some people as you're finding the lines. Now, he didn't find a line, he found a cliff. But unfortunately, that happens."
Wayans added that he supports freedom of speech, but Morgan should be a bit more prepared next time.
"Tracy needs to work his material," Wayans said. "I don't think he's a homophobe. I've worked with him. Tracy's a cool dude. I just think he says dumb stuff."
On Monday, Morgan told GLAAD: "I know how bad bullying can hurt. I was bullied when I was a kid. I'm sorry for what I said."
He also committed to working with GLAAD on an anti-bullying PSA and meet with LGBT youth in New York.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'