'Martha Marcy May Marlene': John Hawkes Sings 'Martha's Song' (Video)
The "Deadwood" and "Winter's Bone" Oscar nominee stars as a cult leader in the new indie film from director Sean Durkin.
Deadwood and Winter's Bone Oscar nominee John Hawkes displays some of his musical talent in the new film Martha Marcy May Marlene.
In the film, Hawkes -- who plays a charismatic cult leader that has a hold over his flock and a new recruit, played by Elizabeth Olsen -- performs a love song for Olsen's character Martha. Called "Martha's Song," the tune written by '60s folk singer Jackson Frank, and was unearthed by director Sean Durkin when he was looking for songs that include the names of characters in his film, reports Rolling Stone.
This isn't the first time Hawkes' music background has been incorporated into his screen work: He wrote the Winter's Bone murder balled "Bred and Buttered." Hawkes was nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar for his role in that film.
Hawkes, who moonlights in the Los Angeles indie band King Straggler and was a member of Austin's Meat Joy, performs "Martha's Song" for Rolling Stone below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'