Hot Martin Lawrence CBS Comedy Lands Fred Savage to Direct (Exclusive)
The former "Wonder Years" star, who recently inked an overall deal with CBS TV Studios to produce and direct projects, has been tapped to helm the CBS pilot.
With pilot season under way, Fred Savage’s status as one of TV’s “it” comedy directors remains intact.
The former Wonder Years star been tapped to direct Martin Lawrence’s untitled CBS comedy pilot, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively. The multicamera project, set up at CBS TV Studios, centers on a widowed father (Lawrence) of two teenagers who, after losing his construction job, goes to the police academy to become a cop at age 46.
Savage's hire comes some four months after he inked a two-year overall deal with the CBS studio to produce, direct and create his own projects. He has spent recent months helming all six episodes of NBC’s upcoming comedy Best Friends Forever, for which he also serves as an executive producer.
The Lawrence project will join an impressive collection of comedies on Savage’s résumé, including ABC’s Happy Endings, CBS’ 2 Broke Girls, FX'sIt's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Starz's onetime critical darling Party Down. The former actor, whose childhood dream was to step behind the camera, was nominated for a DGA Award in January for directing work on Modern Family.
Savage is repped by CAA and Jackoway Tyerman.
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR