Box Office Report: Martin Scorsese's 'Hugo' Overperforms on Thanksgiving
The critically acclaimed 3D film came in No. 3 on Thursday behind "Twilight: Breaking Dawn" and "The Muppets" even though it is playing on far fewer screens.
Martin Scorsese's critically acclaimed Hugo raced up the box office chart to No. 3 on Thursday behind The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 and The Muppets.
All rated PG, Hugo and Muppets opened Wednesday alongside Sony's Arthur Christmas. Because Hugo is playing older than a regular family film, Paramount only opened the film on 1,277 theaters -- nearly a third of the location count of Muppets and Arthur Christmas.
Breaking Dawn grossed $7.8 million on Thursday for a domestic cume of $179.3 million, while Muppets grossed a stellar $5.9 million for a two-day cume of $12.5 million.
Hugo grossed an estimated $2.4 million on Thursday for a two-day cume of $4.3 million. The film's strength on Thanksgiving indicates it is playing older than a regular family film, but is still a movie that different generations can go to.
Hugo did well enough that its projected five-day opening is now $14 million, versus $12 million. That potentially puts it within shouting distance of Warner Bros. holdover Happy Feet Two and Arthur Christmas, and particularly Arthur Christmas.
Happy Feet Two came in No. 4 on Friday, grossing $2.1 million for a domestic cume of $30.4 million. The toon's five-day Thanksgiving gross is estimated to fall closer to $15 million, versus $20 million.
Arthur Christmas fell to No. 7, grossing $1.9 million for a two-day cume of $4.3 million.
Family business should pick up considerably for Muppets and Arthur Christmas with the actual holiday over.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game