Mary J. Blige Women's Charity Hit With $250K Lawsuit (Report)
The foundation is being sued by TD Bank for defaulting on a June 2011 loan.
A bank claims that a charity founded by R&B singer Mary J. Blige and bearing her name has defaulted on a $250,000 loan.
According to TMZ, TD Bank filed a lawsuit earlier this month stating that it had loaned the Mary J. Blige and Steve Stoute Foundation for the Advancement of Women $250,000 in June 2011, which it promised to pay back last December. Instead, it says the organization has only paid $368.33.
The bank states it had sent two notices for payment in February, but that the organization has not responded.
At the same time, reports say the foundation is also being sued by musicians who performed at a fundraising event last year and have yet to be paid.
The 41-year-old singer's rep tells the site, "The Mary J. Blige and Steve Stoute Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now, Inc. (FFAWN) is presently transitioning its management and headquarters… We remain committed to our mandate of helping women gain the confidence and skills necessary to reach their full individual potential."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!