Matt Damon Criticizes President Obama
He says the commander-in-chief has "misinterpreted his mandate" on issues like poverty and Afghanistan.
Matt Damon is off the Barack Obama bandwagon.
The actor, one of the first celebrities to support candidate Obama, says in an interview airing on Piers Morgan's show Thursday that he "definitely wanted more" from the President.
Damon says, "I really think he misinterpreted his mandate," noting that the President "didn't even say the word 'poverty' " in his State of the Union address even though "you've got millions of people languishing in it."
Damon is on a growing list of Hollywood personalities going public about the man they supported in the 2008 election. Barbra Streisand, Spike Lee, Glee's Jane Lynch and Robert Redford have all gone on record about their discontent with Obama's handling of issues like the war in Afghanistan, energy and gay rights.
When Morgan asked Damon about Obama’s role in Afghanistan, Damon said, "I don't think the mission there has been very well articulated. And I think it would help to kind of reframe the way we're thinking about being there and why we're there."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!