Matt Damon: Obama 'Broke Up With Me'
The "Elysium" star also tells BET about the president: "He's got some explaining to do, particularly for a constitutional law professor."
Matt Damon has explained for a few years now that he doesn't consider himself a fan of the president. But, while promoting his new dystopian thriller Elysium, the actor had a new zinger aimed at Barack Obama.
"He broke up with me," quipped Damon in an interview with BET. "There are a lot of things that I really question: the legality of the drone strikes, these NSA revelations. ... Jimmy Carter came out and said we don't live in a democracy. ... That's a little intense when an ex-president says that."
Damon was an early supporter who stumped for Obama during his 2008 presidential run but since has expressed cynicism about the political process.
He elaborated in a similar vein during an interview with Playboy last December while promoting the anti-fracking film Promised Land. "We’re at a point where politicians don’t really get any benefit from engaging with long-term issues," Damon figured. "Instead, it’s all about the next election cycle."
During his latest interview with BET, Damon added, "[Obama's] got some explaining to do, particularly for a constitutional law professor."
Elysium, the star's sci-fi drama helmed by District 9 director Neill Blomkamp, hit U.S. theaters Thursday night.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama