TIFF: Matt Damon Talks Dropping Whitey Bulger Project, Thanks to Johnny Depp's 'Black Mass'
"It kind of feels like we never left," he told THR of shooting the next 'Bourne' installment with 'Bourne Ultimatum' director Paul Greengrass after nine years. "Hopefully we're not too rusty."
Though celebrating the world premiere of The Martian at the Toronto Film Festival, Matt Damon is a week into production on the next installment of the Bourne franchise.
"I shot last night and flew here, but it's going great so far," he told The Hollywood Reporter before the Martian's debut. He's excited most about reuniting with The Bourne Ultimatum director Paul Greengrass after nine years. "It kind of feels like we never left. … Hopefully we're not too rusty."
"Although ours was very, very different from Black Mass, which I read, or The Departed or any of the things that have kind of been made about Whitey Bulger we were gonna go a very, very, very different way. Maybe down the line?" he explained. "But I'd have to see Black Mass too — it's getting great reviews, and if it's kind of a seminal Whitey Bulger story, there's no reason to tell that story twice."
However, Damon added, "The idea that Ben and I have for making this gangster movie that we were talking about could apply to someone who wasn't Whitey Bulger too."
The Martian hits theaters Oct. 2. Watch THR's chat with Damon in the video above.