Matt Nathanson Appears in Wedding Dress During Train, Maroon 5 Concert (Video)
For the last show of an eight-week tour, the opener conspires to prank Train singer Pat Monahan before the band's "Marry Me."
When it comes to pranking opportunities, the last night of tour is about as good as any, so it shouldn't have come as so much of a surprise to Train's Pat Monahan when, during the band's set Saturday night, opener Matt Nathanson walked out on stage wearing a wedding dress. But it did.
According to audience members at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion outside of Houston, where Train played the last of an eight-week co-headlining trek with Maroon 5, singer Monahan looked "totally freaked out" when warm-up act Nathanson appeared onstage before the song "Marry Me."
"You look a lot like Matt Nathanson except way uglier," said Monahan.
It was all part of an elaborate prank, no doubt precipitated by Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine, a fellow culprit. For his part, Levine quickly shot footage of himself eloping with Nathanson backstage, which was later incorporated into a video segment showing happy couples and played during the band's set.
It wouldn't be the first time a couple has declared their love -- real or not -- during a Train concert. The band has made a tradition of public proposals ever since "Marry Me," off of the album Save Me, San Francisco, was released in 2009.
Not to be outdone, Train later enlisted a marching band come onstage during Maroon 5's set just before the band played their hit "She Will Be Loved."
Earlier this summer, Levine appeared on the cover of Out magazine, where he revealed that his brother Michael is gay and offered his own thoughts on homosexuality, telling the publication, "The fact that gay marriage isn’t legal everywhere at this point is a joke."
Train recently recorded a new theme song for the hit NBC show The Biggest Loser. It will debut on Sept. 27.
Nathanson, who joined the Maroon 5-Train trek in late August, continues on his own headlining tour starting Sunday, when he performs at the House of Blues in New Orleans.
Youtube footage of the full prank has yet to surface, but watch a snippet below at around the 3:14 mark:
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!