Matthew McConaughey joins Jack Black film
Rip Torn also cast in Richard Linklater's dark comedy 'Bernie'
Matthew McConaughey is joining Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine in "Bernie," the dark comedy being directed by Richard Linklater. Also boarding the pic is Rip Torn.
Mandalay Vision and Castle Rock Entertainment are behind the pic.
"Bernie" is set in the small town of Carthage, Texas, and follows Renaissance man/community leader/mortician Bernie (Black), who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a wealthy but very particular widow (MacLaine). When he kills her, he goes to great lengths to maintain the illusion that she is still alive.
McConaughey will play the town's district attorney, always angling for re-election and suspicious about the widow's death. Torn will play Bernie's defense lawyer.
Mandalay Vision's Celine Rattray will produce with Castle Rock's Martin Shafer and Liz Glotzer. Ginger Sledge will also produce.
The movie shoots next month in Texas.
McConaughey, repped by CAA, last starred in "Ghost of Girlfriends Past" and recently wrapped filming "The Lincoln Lawyer" for Lakeshore and Sidney Kimmel Entertainment.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR