Matthew Perry project a go at ABC
'Mr. Sunshine' pilot formally greenlighted
ABC has greenlighted to pilot the Matthew Perry-starring comedy "Mr. Sunshine."
The single-camera project, from Sony TV and Jamie Tarses' Fanfare, stars Perry as the manager of an aging San Diego stadium who realizes on his 40th birthday that he can no longer get by on just his charming, noncommittal ways.
"Sunshine" is based on an idea by Perry, who penned the script with Alex Barnow and Marc Firek. The three are executive producing with Tarses and Tommy Schlamme, who is on board to direct.
The project sparked a bidding frenzy when it hit the marketplace in October and landed at ABC with one of the development season's richest commitments.
ABC has been aggressive in greenlighting its pilots early this season.
The news of the "Sunshine" pilot pickup came on the same day ABC announced the renewal of freshman "Cougar Town," headlined by Perry's longtime "Friends" co-star Courteney Cox.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game