'Meatballs' sweeps video charts
'Hangover,' 'Final Destination' take No. 2 and No. 3 spots
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment scored a triple win on the national home video charts for the week ending Jan. 10, as the family hit "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" debuted at No. 1 on all three charts.
On the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, "Meatballs" finally dislodged Warner's "The Hangover" at the top-selling disc. "Hangover" slipped to No. 2 after spending three weeks at No. 1, selling about half as many units during the week as the animated newcomer.
The New Line horror film "The Final Destination," also distributed by Warner, debuted at No. 3.
"Meatballs" also debuted at No. 1 on Home Media Magazine's rental chart for the week, bumping "The Hangover" to No. 4. Paramount's "Paranormal Activity" remained at No. 2 its second week in stores, with a falloff in rental demand of just 17%. Similarly, fellow sophomore "District 9," from Sony Pictures, again finished third, with just 18% less rental activity than the previous week.
"The Final Destination" debuted at No. 6 on the rental chart, just being Universal Studios' "Inglourious Basterds" at No. 5.
"Meatballs" also was an easy victor on the Nielsen VideoScan Blu-ray Disc sales chart, even though just 18% of total unit sales were of the high-definition version. "The Hangover" finished at a strong No. 2, selling 83% as many units as "Meatballs." Of those, 29% were on Blu-ray Disc, according to Nielsen data.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR