Megaupload's Kim Dotcom Teases New Music Service
Days after resigning from Mega, he revealed details for Baboom.
Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom is getting back into the music business.
Just days after resigning as director of his latest project, Mega, the German Internet entrepreneur has dropped details for his new music service, Baboom.
While the official release is said to be a few months away, Dotcom revealed to Torrent Freak that his new venture would offer an ad-funded music model, alongside a paid version.
Dotcom pitches the service to artists, saying their “entire career can be managed on Baboom,” adding they've “never had more freedom, transparency and control.”
And there's cash in the coffers. Dotcom says he's secured “several millions” in funding for the project, which is an evolution of the long-rumored Megabox.
Earlier reports had suggested Megabox would compensate artists through advertising revenue and give artists 90 percent of all earnings, and that Dotcom planned to work directly with artists rather than record labels.
Dotcom recently stepped down from day-to-day involvement in Mega, the file-sharing site he launched in January. A year earlier, Megaupload was shut down and Dotcom's New Zealand mansion was raided by authorities. The U.S. has argued that the file-sharing website cost copyright holders more than $500 million in losses.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)