Melissa McCarthy on SNL: What Hollywood Is Saying About Her Hosting Gig
Judd Apatow says the Emmy-winning actress "made me laugh harder than anything this year or decade."
Melissa McCarthy is Hollywood's new "it" girl: the Bridesmaids breakout star just received her first Emmy award for her lead role in CBS's Mike & Molly, and Saturday night she drew stellar ratings as the host of NBC's Saturday Night Live.
Turns out a few famous folk tuned in too, and they turned to their twitters when McCarthy made 'em laugh.
Judd Apatow has worked with several A-list comedians in his films, but he tweeted McCarthy took the cake: "I think Melissa McCarthy in the office with the balloons on SNL made me laugh harder than anything this year or decade. The stairs too."
If you haven't seen it yet, Apatow is referring to a sketch where McCarthy sexually harasses the co-worker (Jason Sudeikis) she has a crush on by humping and making out with a balloon animal she says he sent her.
Christina Applegate tweets, "Melissa McCarthy was pure bliss hosting SNL last night. Way to go lady!!"
Award-winning comic book writer Brian Bendis tweeted, "is there an snl host who dove in head first harder and threw away the cue cards more brazenly than Melissa mccarthy?"
Bridesmaids director Paul Feig was in the studio Saturday night and commented on what appears to be his favorite female duo: "Huge congrats to Melissa McCarthy for destroying on SNL last night. So glad I was there. Wiig and McCarthy together again = comedy heaven."
Glee actor Cheyenne Jackson was also in the audience Saturday night, tweeting: "At SNL watching Melissa McCarthy chug ranch dressing. Girl has no fear, and is such a sweetheart."
Musical guest for the night, Lady Antebellum, gave kudos to their host (it was their first time on the show too). "@nbcSNL was a dream come true last night. the ranch dressing and office skit will go down in SNL history. Melissa McCarthy was genius. -ck"
Samantha Ronson tweeted during the live show: "Melissa McCarthy is killing it on SNL. Maybe the best host I've seen?!?! Amazing!"
Raising Hope actress Shannon Woodward said she was laughing so hard, "I'm getting a six pack watching Melissa McCarthy on SNL. Incredible. I can't breathe."
Jon Favreau tweeted it more simply: "Now that's how you host SNL." Take that, Alec Baldwin.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David