'Men in Black 3' Posts Record Memorial Day Opening Weekend for Imax
Columbia Pictures’ action comedy, starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, grossed $12.7 million in 474 giant screen theaters worldwide.
TORONTO – Imax on Wednesday said Columbia Pictures’ Men in Black 3 posted a record Memorial Day opening weekend as it grossed $12.7 million in box office after a digitally remastered version screened in 474 of its theaters worldwide.
The action comedy’s four-day run took in $5.3 million domestically in 278 Imax theaters, while internationally the Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones-starrer grossed another $7.4 million on 196 Imax screens.
The previous Memorial Day weekend global box office record was held by Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
The first Men in Black franchise film to screen in Imax theaters included a preview six-minute clip of the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man movie.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead