Meryl Streep, James Taylor Among Honorees of White House's National Humanities and Arts Medals
On Wednesday, President Obama will bestow the medals upon 20 American luminaries chosen to receive the U.S. government's highest honor given to artists.
Oscar winner Meryl Streep, music producer Quincy Jones, singer-songwriter James Taylor, To Kill a Mockingbird author Harper Lee and National Book Award winner Joyce Carol Oates are among this year's 20 recipients of the White House's 2010 National Humanities Medal and National Medal of Arts, it was announced Tuesday.
President Barack Obama is set to present the medals, which are the U.S. government's highest honors given to scholars and artists, on Wednesday at a White House ceremony in the East Room. First Lady Michelle Obama will also attend
In addition to Streep, Taylor and Jones, additional artists that will receive a National Medal of Arts include playwright Robert Brustein, poet Donald Hall and pianist Van Cliburn, among others.
Oates will accept a National Humanities Medal along with other celebrated luminaries, such as biographer Arnold Rampersad, cultural historian Jacques Barzun and novelist Wendell E. Berry, among others.
A complete list of honorees appears below.
2010 NATIONAL MEDAL OF ARTS
Mark di Suvero
Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival
2010 NATIONAL HUMANITIES MEDAL
Wendell E. Berry
Roberto Gonzalez Echevarria
Stanley Nider Katz
Joyce Carol Oates
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game