Meryl Streep Slams Hollywood's 'Big Tentpole Failures'
The actress took studios to task for producing box-office flops at this week's Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards gala in Beverly Hills.
As big-budget flops such as Battleship and John Carter tank at the box office, Meryl Streep has some words of advice for Hollywood: Listen to the ladies.
The three-time Oscar winner, taking the stage at Tuesday's Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards in Beverly Hills, said (via VF.com): “In this room, we are very familiar with these dreadful statistics that detail the shocking under-representation of women in our business. Seven to ten percent of directors, producers, writers, and cinematographers [are women] in any given year. This in spite of the fact that in the last five years, five little movies aimed at women have earned over $1.6 billion: The Help, The Iron Lady believe it or not, Bridesmaids, Mamma Mia! and The Devil Wears Prada."
(Yes, three out those five films star Streep, who added another Oscar to her ever-growing pile of awards this year for her leading role in Iron Lady.)
She continued: "As you can see, their problems were significant because they cost a fraction of what the big tentpole failures cost. … Let’s talk about The Iron Lady. It cost $14 million to make it and brought in $114 million. Pure profit! So why? Why? Don’t they want the money?”
Streep presented a Crystal Award to Viola Davis, a 2012 Oscar nominee for The Help, saying in her introduction: "Alice Walker said that the most common way people give up their power is by thinking that they don’t have any. That’s like [hearing] that women don’t get raises because they don’t ask for them. It’s incredible."
Streep next will be seen on the big screen opposite Tommy Lee Jones in the marriage-themed Hope Springs, helmed by Prada director David Frankel. The movie opens Aug. 10.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David