Mexican Dramas 'Heli,' 'Halley' Win Awards at Munich Film Festival
Romantic comedy “Love Steaks” from director Jakob Lass sweeps the German newcomer honors.
Mexican cinema took pride of place at this year's Munich International Film Festival, with Amat Escalante's drug drama Heli adding the festival's Arri/Osram best international film honor to his best director's win in Cannes and his fellow countryman Sebastian Hofmann taking the CineVision prize for his debut, the horror tale Halley.
The CineVision award, meant to honor cinematic innovation, was also presented, ex aequo, to Slovakian director Mira Fornay for his second feature film, My Dog Killer.
In the German film section, Jakob Lass' feature film debut, Love Steaks, a romantic comedy about a couple who fall in love at a health spa, swept the Forderpreis Neues Deutsches Kino honors, winning best director, best screenplay (Lass with co-writers Timon Schappi, Ines Schiller and Nico Woche), best production (for producer Golo Schultz) and best acting honors for stars Lana Cooper and Franz Rogowski.
German director Fatima Geza Abdollahyan also took home multiple honors for his documentary Freedom Bus, a look at Egypt ahead of the 2011 elections. The film won the Munich audience award as well as the One Future Prize presented by Munich's Interfilm Academy.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!