Michael Barker and Tom Bernard
Partners for 30 years, the Sony Pictures Classics duo again made a mark on Sundance.
Rare is the Hollywood couple that stays together 30 years. Tom Bernard and Michael Barker first paired at United Artists and Orion Classics before co-founding Sony Pictures Classics in 1992. The New York-based specialty arm has never been Sony’s most profitable division, but with scores of Oscar nominations (seven more this year for such films as Animal Kingdom and Inside Job), the duo’s indie outfit has long championed obscure artists and low-budget gems. Bernard, 59, and Barker, 56 — each married with grown kids — were active again at Sundance, where they picked up the psychological thriller Take Shelter and Irish comedy The Guard. The key to a long, healthy partnership? They still eat lunch together every day.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR