Michael Douglas' Rep Denies Cancer Oral Sex Claim, Audio of Interview Released
"This particular cancer is caused by something called HPV, which actually comes about from cunnilingus," the "Behind the Candelabra" actor said in an interview.
A rep for Michael Douglas is denying that, in a recently published interview, the actor blames oral sex for giving him cancer. And in response, the publication that posted the interview has presented the audio of the interview to prove its point.
On Monday, the U.K.'s The Guardian newspaper posted an interview with the Behind the Candelabra star asking if he attributed his cancer to drinking and smoking throughout his life.
But Douglas pointed to a different reason.
"No. Without getting too specific, this particular cancer is caused by something called HPV, which actually comes about from cunnilingus," he told the newspaper.
But rep Allen Burry responded by saying that Douglas was not talking about his cancer specifically, but rather the causes of cancer.
"In a discussion with the newspaper," said Burry to The Associated Press, "they talked about the causes of oral cancer, one of which was oral sex, which is noted and has been known for a while now."
In response, The Guardian stated that it "firmly denies this charge of misrepresentation," and posted part of the audio from the interview between Xan Brooks and Douglas. (Listen to it here.)
The transcription is below:
Xan Brooks: Do you feel, in hindsight, that you overloaded your system? Overloaded your system with drugs, smoking, drink?
Michael Douglas: No. No. Ah, without getting too specific, this particular cancer is caused by something called HPV, which actually comes about from cunnilingus.
Douglas was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer in 2010 and underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatments. He has said he has recovered from the disease.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)