Michael Jackson's Doctor to Be Sentenced Today
Conrad Murray will receive his punishment Tuesday after being convicted of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the singer's June 2009 death.
Conrad Murray is set to appear in court at 8:30 a.m. PT for his sentencing following his involuntary manslaughter conviction in the death of Michael Jackson Nov. 7.
The pop star's former doctor was found guilty after undergoing a six-week-long trial that was broadcast on HLN and detailed Jackson's final hours with Murray, who was using propofol, an operating-room anesthetic to treat chronic insomnia, that led to his death.
The cardiologist's defense attorneys have asked that Murray receive probation, the Associate Press reports. They have said a jail sentence will render him unable to practice medicine and relegate him to a lifetime of ostracism. The prosecution have requested the maximum four-year jail term (which would likely be cut in half due to overcrowding), and want the doctor to pay Jackson's children, Prince, Paris and Blanket, more than $120 million in restitution.
Before the sentencing, Jackson's family members will have the opportunity to speak, though none have announced plans to make a statement. The entertainer's mom, Katherine, told CNN Monday she hoped Murray would get the full punishment. She also said his children will not be present in court.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'