Michael Jackson settlement to remain secret
Terms of agreement on royal's suit will not be disclosedLONDON -- The details of pop star Michael Jackson's settlement with a Bahraini prince are to remain confidential, a lawyer for the royal said Monday.
Attorney Bankim Thanki confirmed to London's High Court that Jackson and Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa have settled their legal dispute over a planned music project that fell apart in 2006.
Thanki said terms of the agreement will not be disclosed.
In a joint statement e-mailed to reporters after the brief hearing, lawyers for Al Khalifa and Jackson confirmed that the dispute had been resolved.
"They wish each other well in their own respective endeavors," the statement said.
Al Khalifa befriended Jackson in the wake of his trial on child-molestation charges in California. The sheik took the singer under his wing after he was acquitted in June 2005, moving him to Bahrain and showering him with money.
The sheik said the cash was an advance on a joint pop-music venture Jackson did not fulfill. Jackson denied the charge, saying the money was given freely. Al Khalifa was suing for $7 million, the amount he claimed he gave Jackson as part of their project.
The singer had been due to testify Monday before the case was settled, but neither he nor the sheik showed up in court.