Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' Jacket Expected to Fetch $200K In Online Auction
Fans paying tribute to the King of Pop on the anniversary of his death can bid on the iconic item, as well as a shirt worn in “Scream” music video.
The red and black leather jacket Michael Jackson made famous in his "Thriller" music video is up for auction, the Associated Press reports.
According to Darren Julien, president of Julien's Auctions, he expects Jackson’s jacket to get at least $200,000 by end of auction on Sunday.
Jackson signed the leather jacket as a present to costume designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, and hoped it would be used as a jumping off point for his wardrobe for future concerts.
Portions of the sale will go to the Shambala Preserve, where the late pop singer’s Bengal tigers have been residing since Jackson left Neverland back in 2006.
But the "Thriller" jacket isn’t the only iconic item up on the auction block. Jackson’s wig that was worn at the press conference announcing his This is It tour, which never took place, a shirt worn in the "Scream" music video and a mailbox can also be bid on.
Earlier this month, it was believed that Jackson's "Thriller" jacket could potentially sell for up to $400,000, and at the time, Julien believed it could possibly fetch even more.
Other items from Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and the Beatles are also up for sale.
Jackson died two years ago from an overdose of the sedative Propofol at 50 years old. The music industry honored Jackson on the anniversary of his death on Saturday.
Rihanna wrote: “We miss you, We love you...often imitated, NEVER duplicated!!!” Jackson’s sister Janet wrote: “I MISS U. I LUV U.”
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills