Michele Bachmann's Exit From GOP Race Sparks Comedic Reactions
Following a disappointing 6th place finish in Iowa, the Minnesota congressman's campaign suspension prompts outbreak of jokes and snark on the social-networking site.
The Twitterverse broke out its comedy routine following Michele Bachmann's announcement on Wednesday that she's dropping out of the presidential race.
A sampling of the reaction:
Comedian Andy Borowitz wrote: "Bachmann apparently is withdrawing from the race to spend more time applying gigantic fake eyelashes."
Screenwriter Brian Lynch also took a swipe at the Minnesota congresswoman's oft-mocked peepers, posting: "Michele Bachmann may be dropping out, but her eyes will never, ever leave you."
Michael King, a cartoonist formerly of The Onion, joked to his followers: "NEWS: Michele Bachmann disassembled by staffers, returned to Radio Shack for partial store credit."
Sniped National Post sports columnist Bruce Arthur: "On the plus side, the time has never been better for a zany Michele Bachmann-Herman Cain buddy comedy."
"Michele Bachmann quits presidential race. Too bad. She was so entertaining," tweeted Huffington Post blogger Stephanie Sarkis.
In Wednesday's press conference, Bachmann -- who placed a dismal sixth in Tuesday night's results -- said she was suspending her campaign following a bleak run at the Iowa caucuses.
"I have decided to step aside," she said, flanked by husband Marcus Bachmann.
"I will forever be gratetul to the state (of Iowa), and its people," noted the conservative congresswoman, saying that she would "continue fighting to (defeat) Obama's agenda of socialism."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram