Michele Placido to Chair Italy's Ischia Film & Music Fest
The 11-year-old island festival was chaired in 2012 by producers Rick Nicita and Paula Wagner.
ROME -- Italian actor and director Michele Placido will be chairman of the 11th edition of the Ischia Global Film & Music Fest, organizers said Tuesday.
The festival, which takes place on the picturesque island of Ischia, off the coast of Naples, was chaired a year ago by Hollywood producers Rick Nicita and Paula Wagner. The event takes place this year from July 13-21.
Also on tap in Ischia this year is a special social forum on poverty to be hosted by Italian director Mimmo Calopresti, organizers said.
The 66-year-old Placido, best known as a director for the 2005 crime thriller Romanzo Criminale (Kings of Crime), has also acted in films by some of Italy’s best known directors, including Oscar-winner Giuseppe Tornatore and Cannes regular Nanni Moretti.
Placido is the father of actress Violante Placido, and was previously married to Simonetta Stefanelli, best known as the actress who played the Sicilian wife of Al Pacino’s character in Francis Ford Coppola’s classic The Godfather.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty