Singer-Songwriter Michelle Shocked Arrested During Occupy LA Raid, LAPD List Reveals
The punk-inpsired folk rocker and activist, who saw success and critical acclaim in the late 1980s, was among the 292 jailed for "failure to disperse," a misdemeanor in Los Angeles.
Singer-songwriter Michelle Shocked was among the Occupy LA protesters arrested outside Los Angeles City Hall on Tuesday. Her name appeared on a list released Friday as one of 292 who were jailed for “failure to disperse,” a misdemeanor.
The list also detailed the gender, race, age, occupation and current residence of those arrested, yielding some interesting but perhaps not surprising insight -- namely, that the majority were young, white, male and local, according to the LAPD.
Shocked, who gained recognition in the late 1980s for her punk-inspired spin on folk music and saw modest success with the 1988 album Short Sharp Shocked, listed her occupation as “poet.” She continues to record and perform music today and posts regular updates on her Youtube channel. In a video from October 10, she voices her support for the Occupy movement, declaring, “We’re not leaving” and “We’re mad, make the banks pay, stop letting the corporation buy and sell our democracy from under us… The people have the power.”
Bail was set at a minimum of $5,000 for all arrested. Shocked was released from LA County Jail on Thursday morning and soon after took to her Twitter writing, "Just got bailed this morning from Van Nuys jail with 292 detainees from OccupyLA. I am furious about this awful unlawful arrest!" The next day, she posted a Twitpic of the ID bracelet issued upon her incarceration (see above).
Many who cited financial hardship remain locked up. Discussion of the LA arrests continues in real-time on Twitter using the hashtag #OLA292.
Read the full list posted by the Los Angeles Times and watch Shocked’s “Achorage,” which reached No. 66 on the Billboard Hot 100, below. You can download a free MP3 of the song “Fogtown” from her debut album Texas Campfire Tapes at Shocked's website.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'